Adaptive reuse of a 1910 marine supply building, situated in Ballard’s industrial core, near Ballard’s Historic District. The seismically upgraded building will house offices, retail, and restaurant space. The goal of adaptive reuse of the historically significant building is to preserve a vernacular that is quickly disappearing in Ballard while reinforcing the idea of mixed-use buildings and walkable live/work/play neighborhoods.
The fabric of the original building has been maintained and enriched by modern details to create a place that describes the past, present and future all at once. The penthouse office suite addition is carefully placed on top of the existing roof in consideration of the scale of the neighborhood.
The addition was analyzed and positioned with consideration of the solar orientation and double-storey heights to assist in natural ventilation. Salvaged and reclaimed materials are used throughout the project as partitions, interior wall finishes, cabinets and countertops. Despite the water view to the west, west windows are carefully sized to reduce solar heat gain.